As Hampshire is now classed within the south west (and it’s not that far afield!) we thought you might be interested in this commission from aspace….
We are looking for an artist to contribute to this new affordable housing development, on the former Hendy Ford site in Shirley, Southampton.The commission will involve engaging with the residents and working with the project board to create a new artwork situated in a landscaped area of the complex. The final artwork must reflect the sites history, drawing upon the stories and characters associated with it.
The selected artist will be required to run a workshop with the local residents taking onboard any appropriate views and incorporating these during the development stage. The artist will work alongside the project board to develop ideas and have the final designs approved before entering the production stage.
Proposals for the first stage of the application process are required by the 21 June 2013. Applying for this opportunity is subject to a competitive process. Please download the brief (see link below) for a detailed breakdown of the application process.
– This site (360-364 Shirley Road) was originally residential with large Georgian bow-fronted houses set back from the road.
– In late Victorian times the houses were home to doctors and business people who employed servants and other helpers for their trade.
– By the late 1920s, no. 362 Shirley Road was purchased by the British Legion who made the ground floor of the premises into a social club that later became known as the Shirley Central Club.
– Mr Edward Selby purchased 362 and later no 364 Shirley Road as a site for his new business and established a Vauxhall car dealership in 1936.
– During World War II the Ministry of Transport commandeered the garages as a vehicle repair and conversion centre. Army lorries were reconditioned here for further use; normal business was resumed after the war.
– In 1956, new owners Mr Reg Brixey and Mr Whetmore established the first Ford dealership in Southampton until they retired after 26 years and the firm was taken over by a national consortium Bristol Street Motors.
– The most recent use of the site was by Hendy Ford, as a car dealership, from 1977 – a large glass showroom had been built for new cars with an undercover second-hand car area alongside.
For full detailed description of the time frame and application process please download the brief here.