Closing date for applications Friday 6th September 5pm.
Reporting to: Head of Stage
Salisbury Playhouse seeks to recruit a Technical Apprentice to join the busy Production Team. This role covers all aspects of theatre staging and electrics for Salisbury Playhouse productions as well as for visiting companies.
This role would suit someone with a keen interest and some experience of the technical aspects of producing Theatre.
Salisbury Playhouse is a building-based producing theatre, which produces and receives work in both main house and studio, and may include some co-productions and tours. There is also a participation department, including a youth theatre that requires support from time to time.
Due to the nature of the post there will be a need to work late hours and weekends, which will involve strenuous physical work. You will be required to attend college as part of this Apprenticeship.
- Programming and operating LX and/or Sound in Main House and Studio
- Assist with the making/adapting of lx and sound practicals and effects
- Assisting with PAT testing and servicing of equipment
- Assist with the Rigging & focusing of sound and lighting equipment in both spaces, and participating in get-ins/get-outs
- Assist with the preparation of Playhouse productions for any future life at other theatres or on tour
- Supporting visiting companies in both theatres
- Supporting work of Youth Theatre and Participation projects and productions
- Follow-spot operation
- Working as Stage Electrician and/or sound number 2
- Assisting with Electrical maintenance/installation work where time and skills allow
- Assist on performances as flyman or on stage as necessary
- Participate in the scenic Get out and Fit up of each show
- Preparing equipment and scenic elements for productions
- Attendance at read-throughs, production meetings and Staff Meetings
- To assist with the maintenance of technical stage equipment and carry out repairs/improvements to the theatre buildings as skills and time allow
- Any other duties as may reasonably be required by the management
- A proven interest in technical Theatre
- Experience of Theatre Productions
- Experience of technical equipment
- Knowledge of staging techniques
- Ability to both work as part of a team and independently
- Professional approach to work whilst maintaining high standards and exercising quality control
- Ability to work evenings and weekends when required
- Experience of Sound and Lighting techniques
- Knowledge of projection and video editing
- Knowledge of moving light technology
- Clean driving licence
- Knowledge with access equipment (Ladders, Tallescope, Genie)
- Knowledge of counterweight flying
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Salary £103.35 per week
Hours A basic 39 Hours hour week with additional hours as required e.g. during tech week. Overtime will be paid for work on Sundays, Bank Holidays and hours worked after midnight. Commercial get outs will be paid when applicable.
Holiday 20 days annual leave per year plus statutory bank holidays
Term: This is a fixed term contract for 1 year and subject to a 3 month probationary period
Pension: The Playhouse operates a group pension scheme to which it contributes