Wiltshire Music Connect and Wiltshire Music Service are looking for a composing animateur to work with a group of students on a composition project between October and December, 2014. This project is a one-off commission, in partnership with the Arts and Archives department at Wiltshire Council and Wiltshire’s World Heritage sites.
- You will work with a group of between 10 and 25 secondary school students (Years 10-13) who have a talent for music and composition.
- You will visit one or two World Heritage sites with these students and go on a guided tour to find out about the history of the stones at Stonehenge and Avebury. It is expected that you will talk to the students during the day about the brief and ideas and set them some ‘thinking’ homework to do in preparation for the next part of the project.
- You will have one day to work with those students a week after the visit, collecting, collating, and creating musical ideas, themes and lyrics together and putting together a coherent piece of vocal music or song between 4 and 8 minutes long, reflecting the feeling of the places, their history and the ways in which they, as young people, engage with them.
- You will then have two paid days to finish the piece and record a backing track and semi-score (vocal lines and chords or piano outline would be fine)
- Supported by school teachers and / or Music Service staff, the piece will then be learned by a cluster of primary school children for a performance at County Hall Trowbridge in the Spring term – it could be accompanied live or we can use the backing track. We hope some of the composing students will also attend to hear their music and to speak about the process. Beyond that we hope to see the material enter a bank of vocal material used by young people in Wiltshire.
- Some of the process may be video documented for use by the Music Service and project partners
Available fee – up to £1500 inc expenses
Interested in applying? Please send in a current CV and brief covering letter of application clearly indicating relevant experience, track record and interests and indicate your availability during term time October – December, 2014
Deadline for applications: Friday, 12th September 2014
Email your application to : Kate.Courage@wiltshire.gov.uk